I have always said that a persons heart will always tell on them. Scripture continuously affirms this notion. Scriptures like out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks affirms that whats in our hearts won't stay just there, the condition of our heart will reveal itself.. Our heart will reflect who we truly are. Honestly, my heart hasn't reflected the things I would desire for it to reflect. Ya' know things like patient, gentleness, self-control. Nope, instead I've been agitated, easily annoyed, snappy and down right selfish on many occasions. God is completely and totally concerned with your heart. The ground of your heart is such a precious place. Scripture is extremely clear on how important our hearts are to God. God doesn't look at all the things we do, how we dress, or even how much we do for Him. All of those outward practices shrink in comparison to the condition of our hearts. This is a reality I am constantly confronted with. Recently I got super honest with myself and realized my heart is not in the right place. My heart doesn't overflow with the right things. This realization isn't the end all be all. There is grace, there is mercy praise God that He can change my heart through His sweet word.
While it is important to realize our depravity and it is crucial that we do a honest assessment on ourselves this isn't enough. From that realization and assessment must come action. Proverbs tells us to guard our hearts. Beloved, while we should desire to guard the hearts of our brothers and sisters in Christ and vice versa we must remember this very direct pearl of wisdom. It's YOUR job to guard your heart. It's your heart. I want you to think of something in your life that you love having that you would never want to be ruined. Maybe it's your iPhone, maybe it's your favorite handbag. When it comes to that item you don't leave it up to anyone else to take care of it. While you expect those around you to know that they shouldn't tamper with that thing because it's important to you you take FULL responsibility for the care, preservation and protection of what means so much to you. Princess, know your heart is precious. Beloved, realize your heart is valuable. Daughter, believe your heart is a scared place. We live in an anti-scared culture. Very few things of worth are scared, treasured and valued. In this culture God's word still rings true and His wisdom is still applicable to you. Now because your heart is scared, valuable and treasured there is a different way in which you ought to take care of it.
Water it! Water your heart as you would water a garden. We do this through the word of God. We do this through intimacy with God, through prayer. Those spiritual disciplines that nourish you. Notice I said water your heart. In the same way that you wouldn't put Doritos in the fertilizer and you wouldn't water a garden with soda don't allow JUNK into your heart. What's junk? Junk is that stuff that takes up time, energy and space in your heart but lacks nutrients. What are you watching on tv? Is it nourishing you? Is it bringing you closer to Jesus and His will for your life? Is it true, lovely, pure, of good report? Does whatever your watching, listening to, talking to, or saying help you to develop in the fruits of the spirit? If you answer no to any of these questions you are watering your garden with soda. What is the soda in your life? When you've been feeding your heart things that do not nourish it you need to do a bit of a heart detox.
Okay so what's a heart detox you ask?
A heart detox is the process of ridding and filling. In this case that process is 30 days. We rid our hearts of the junk of this world and fill our hearts with the nourishment of our sweet savior. Here's how the process goes:
1. Prayer - really surrender yourself to God right here right now. Get on your knees, on your face whatever you need to do to get in God's presence do it. One way that I quiet myself down and get into God's presence is by getting in a comfortable position. I pick a scripture and I just meditate on it . I literally just fill my mind with truth and then I begin to thank God for pretty much everything from the air I'm breathing to recent victories. From there I go on ahead and just pray. Of course you don't have to do exactly what I do but if this concept is a bit foreign to you the tip might help. When praying ask God to reveal those things you need to rid yourself of.
2. Customize Your Detox - Okay I'm a list girl so of course that's apart of this. Get out a piece of paper and a pen. Make a two column list. Title one column junk and title the other column nourishment. Go through your daily schedule and write down which of your actions nourish you and what do not. For an example if every night I'm watching Mob wives, basketball wives, love & hip hop, and the jersey shore all those things go under my junk column. Those aren't things that nurture me. Just like junk food doesn't provide us with the nutrients we need neither does heart junk.. If every morning I read my Bible that goes under my nourishment column (don't forget to add your time spent on instagram and facebook which should most likely go under the junk column lol) Now it's time to customize your detox. Now everything that you wrote under the junk column for the next 30 days (and some of them hopefully your life) you will not be doing any of those things for the next 30 days. Now to customize your detox even more replace every junk item with a nourishment item. If your junk column was longer than your nourishment column then you will need to add some practices that you don't currently do. Some spiritual disciplines you can consider adding are: fasting, serving, evangelism, and worship. Some other disciplines you can consider are: reading a Biblically sound book, exercising, perfecting your craft, and maybe even spending more time working on your relationships with friends and family. So for an example say I wrote under my junk list that I watch Mob wives I will replace that in my schedule with serving. So instead of watching television that night maybe i'll go help out a single parent clean up after dinner and get the kids read for school the next day. From this list you should have an all new schedule for the next 30 days.
3. Choose a Bible Reading Plan - Bible reading plans are a really easy way to get into the habit of reading the word daily. YouVersion.com has some really amazing Bible reading plans. These plans can be used on the computer and on your mobile device. The Youversion Bible study I'm doing is She Reads Truth: Fresh Start it is a 19 day plan. Reading the Bible is extremely vital! Your heart NEEDS truth! Beloved, your heart craves truth. Choose to no longer fill you heart with the counterfeit and give it the REAL thing it needs: truth!
4. Got Music? Princess, this is soooo important. I am not at all saying this to take away from the art of music. Music is simply words to a tune. Words are powerful. Be mindful of what words you let in. We've got to learn to filter. Not just with music but with movies as well. Remember your heart is valuable its precious we want to guard it well. I challenge you to replace every negative song on your iPOD with a positive song that reflects truth. Check out noisetrade.com and rapzilla.com for some fun FREE truth reflecting music. Noisetrade isn't a christian only site so practice filtering.
5. The Company You Keep - Assess the company you keep. Are they people who bring you closer to Christ or are they people who kick you right back into your pit? Choose to surround yourself with like minded people who are following hard after Christ. More than just Sunday at church try and connect through fellowship throughout the week also. It is really encouraging to keep going in your walk when you're around people who share that same hearts desire.
6. Enjoy God - Remember this isn't a check off list. This is us ridding our hearts of anything that keeps us from our Abba. Remember to enjoy God. You don't HAVE to spend time with God you GET to spend time with God. It is a privilege and a honor to be in the presence of our king. Remember to have joy. Happy detoxing!
I'm so excited about the next 30 days (regardless of when your 30 days starts). Joining me on this detox journey? Post of the button below on your blog/website and invite some other sisters on the journey!!!